Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Can you be more specific??

Recently, I had to travel by Indian Railways to goto my home town. While waiting for the train, I noticed this message on the station's LED message board.

"DO NOT TRAVEL WITHOUT PROPER TICKETS"

My immediate reaction was - What if I do? Wouldn't a more direct message be
"IT IS PUNISHABLE TO TRAVEL WITHOUT TICKETS"

I don't understand the thought process behind these indirect statements. I believe rules & regulations should be as direct & unambiguous as possible.

2 comments:

  1. That sounded more like a request. :) Railways learning manners?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @NC ... might be a request .... I am more concerned about the effectiveness of this request due to lack of clarity. A lot of 'W' questions follow this statement.

    ReplyDelete