Tuesday, September 15, 2009

local hartals

Like all Thursdays, last Thursday I called in a strike at home. Yeah, being a mallu coming from a leftist background, I have the liberty to call in strikes or hartals every now & then. And mind you, like the strikes in Kerala, I too go on strike every other day. I was beginning to get the feeling that, something was terribly wrong with me - I am always in the fighting mode.


During one of these 'hartal' days, I had visited my friend's place before going to office. The maid opened the door & let me in. While I was waiting for my friend in their living room, I could hear an extremely familiar conversation. It got me worried, did someone overhear me grumbling? Were they trying to mock me? Quite contrary to my character, I decided to wait for a couple of seconds, before I respond. And just then, I saw my friend storming out of her bedroom, took a pause, turned back to say the finishing line & walked out of the house with me.

Thats when it all came to me. The scenes & the dialogs were familiar to me, it just happened in my house just a couple of minutes back.

Yesterday, I was visiting another friend of mine and I just missed the familiar scene. The house was calm, calm like the ones before the storm. And, they were just holding it back, because both our kids were playing in the same room.

I have to say, I was a little relieved to witness these 'private' moments. I am not completely different from other couples. Of course, the degree of bitterness varies, but am happy that deviation from the normal has reduced. The issues are all similar - women say something & men translate them into something completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment