Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Vikalpah

Shabda Jnana Anupati Vastu Shunyo Vikalpah 
When we imagine an object in our mind just by listening to some words, then it is called Vikalpa
                - Patanjali Yoga Sutras - made easy by Dr. Padiki Nagaraja Rao 

Vikalpah is mentioned by Sage Patanjali as one of the activities of the mind. Vikalpa refers to the knowledge we store in our mind based only on the words we hear. Vikalpa refers to unreal & non-existent objects. These impressions are created within our mind, using our imagination.

What is the source of such an unreal impression???? It is nothing but the impressions we have already created. The ones that spawned from other impressions. The ones that we constructed based on the words we heard (or overheard). 

Note : This explanation of mine is limited to my understanding of the writer's interpretation AND limited by my personal experiences and how I relate the theory with my personal experiences. Many times in my life, I have allowed myself to be carried away by activities caused by some insignificant shabdhas (words). The results???? I have burned couple of bridges - both internal & external ones. Thankfully, not all the bridges were of the same built. Some did withstand the fire, while some could be repaired. 


Be attentive to the variations caused my the Shabdhas. Be mindful about what is important to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment