Friday, June 17, 2011

Know Your Child

One of my close friend is an active member of The Art of Living Foundation. On a regular day, he wouldn't ask me to attend any of their courses. But that day, he wanted me to attend the 'Know Your Child' course conducted at his residence. On any other day, I would have ran in the opposite direction. But that day, I agreed to attend this session.

The one thing that caught my attention was this question by the instructor - "Why do you want to limit your child's knowledge to what YOU know?"

Most of the parents I know, and I myself, have this urge to give 'technically correct' answers to all the questions raised by the children. And if we don't know an answer, we google & tell them. This question by the instructor opened a a whole new world of possibilities for me - The children might have an even better answer to it.

So, now when my child or her friend asks me a question, I try not to answer her question immediately. Instead, I ask her - "Hmmmm ... am not too sure ... what do you think it is?". And I was bowled over by their answers. I was completely amazed by the way they line up THEIR facts & THEIR observations & how THEY draw up THEIR conclusions. And we still call them kids!

PS.
Definition of Rain by a 3yr old boy .... I think they have switched on the air condition on the plane ... :)

1 comment: